Reshaping the courts for a generation
Former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Human Rights Commission, and fellow for Human Rights and Constitutional Governance at the Family Research Council, Ken Blackwell serves on the board of the NRA and has served as Ohio’s state treasurer and Secretary of State. He writes an elucidating article in June’s Newsmax (beginning on page 52) detailing how the attacks on our First Amendment rights by the left have come even during conservative majorities, and expose us all to the liberal extreme agenda.
Through examples of tyranny used as a whip against political conservatives, he draws a picture of civilian horror only saved by the judicial branch’s clarity and reason. I’m referring to Wisconsin’s politically motivated reprisals for Gov. Scott Walker’s reforms, called the “John Doe” raids, later characterized by the National Review as “Wisconsin’s Shame.” Persecution because of one’s political activities isn’t just in the old USSR or China, but in America, it “vividly illustrates the vital role that the judicial branch plays as the last, best hope of protecting individual liberty” (p. 52) (emphasis mine).
Conservatives, already stung by the IRS targeting operation that attempted to mute anti-Obama organizations in the run-up to the 2012 election, are keenly aware that after seven years of President Obama’s tactic of pushing the legal envelope on everything from the individual mandate to illegal immigration to the definition of marriage, the integrity of the rule of law in America now hangs in the balance (ibid.).
Considering the the last eight years of radical liberal rule, Blackwell reasons that “(a) de facto third Obama term by Hillary would cement a barrage of extreme actions meant to transform the spiritual and cultural fabric of America.” As if we haven’t had enough of Obama’s kind of change already.
Consider how a post-Obama/Clinton America would look and what if any legal ramparts would be extant following a long Democrat-controlled bench.
- Clinton Justice Dept. would cover up all Obama malfeasance.
- Emboldened Admin. would continue to flout the Constitution.
- Federal agents at your front door confiscating your only means of protection, and perhaps healing you off as well.
- Want to join a conservative group because you worry about our growing debt? Be ready for an IRS incursion into your and the group’s background.
- Think we are winning against the amnesty barrage? The current 8-member SCOTUS may well be evenly divided and perhaps this will cause States to rebel.
- Possibility of Clinton nominating Obama to the Supreme Court.
- How about Judge Merrick Garland as the “reliable fifth vote as part of a liberal court majority for the foreseeable future” (p. 55)? Ginsburg is seriously ill, Kennedy turns 80 this month.
- Unbridled environmental regulations – EPA cirumventing Congress to shut down industries through regulatory fiat.
- Global warming runs amok, amok, amok. Liberal AGs would investigate, shame, and prosecute companies that refuse to kowtow to the green theology du jour.
- Freedom of religion – attacks “on faith have reached such levels of absurdity that entire states are under attack for simply codifying that men and women should use the appropriate bathroom” (p. 56). The insanity of political correctness will only be exacerbated by a bench installed by Hillary.
- Under a Hillary court, people of faith practicing it outside their house of worship may find themselves in court (e.g., cake bakers who lost their business and were heavily fined; Hobby Lobby), but in debt with crippling fines and possibly jail time – all because of their religious beliefs.
- Freedom of speech – “In a world refashioned by a liberal Supreme Court majority instituted by Hillary Clinton, the First Amendment will cease to exist as we know it” (p.57).
- Right to life – With a 4-4 split, the court literally would be one vote away from legalizing infanticide.
Don’t be lulled into thinking that the 2016 election merely hinges on the judiciary. Either party can win a “trifecta” with the presidency and the Senate. If you’ve thought that you don’t like Mr. Trump, or you might stay home this November, remember what Ronald Reagan warned in 1964:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same—or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Do not be silent. Educate your friends. Drive your neighbors to the polls. Be an effective voice for the Republic within your sphere of influence. And by all means, pray that God will unite His people against the evils of tyranny and despotism.
“…when the judiciary is no longer moored to the founders’ intent in the Constitution, can any right be taken for granted?” – Ken Blackwell